Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bachelor For A Weekend, Sort Of

Well, My wife went off to a weekend seminar/retreat that a friend had invited her to and took our four year old son with her so that left me by myself and loosely a bachelor for a few days. As expected I returned to bachelor eating mode and have had sandwiches, hotdogs and hamburger helper. What I didn't realize is that I'd be spending as much time as I have working around the house. Today for instance I cut (most) of the grass, cleared off the brush pile, did two loads of laundry (and folded and put away last weeks laundry) as well as washed dishes and attempted to straighten things up a bit.

Now think of it even though I didn't get off work until 11:30 Friday night I didn't go see any bands play, nor did I go to the movies and I didn't even get to write anything, until now that is, and I need to get to bed so I have to make this quick. So nothing personally gratifying got done and I mostly did things around the house for the betterment of the family.

At least I was able to watch the final two and a half shows of the last season of The Inbetweeners which is a brilliant British comedy about four friends in high school who are neither the coolest or the geekiest so they are inbetween, hence the title. It ended somewhat strangely normal where there was nothing settled in the characters lives. Simon is moving away because of his fathers work even though his last year of school is almost over. The lads play a texting game where everyone gets someone else's phone and sends a text, no rules. Simon gets a return text from the girl he's loved most of his life and fearing the worst he reads it silently before smiling and saying somewhat cryptically "brilliant." Then they end up throwing up on each other in the tent (after his car ends up in the lake) and start to walk home. And that's it, shows over. At least there is an Inbetweeners movie to be released next month although I don't know when or if it will come out here in the States.

So that's been my day. Pretty boring eh? Tomorrow hopefully I'll go to by best friend Tom's house to work on the lyrics for a new song and maybe even start another. That way at least I'll finally have done something creative with my time although I did manage to find some good music and arrange a playlist for my Ipod of late 70s and early 80s British music earlier today. It consists of bands like The Ruts, The Skids, The (English) Beat, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Specials, The Jam and on and on. So I've got that going for me. For now though it's time to sleep.

Published by Don Leach

No comments: