Friday, August 21, 2020

Ten For Tuesday Has Changed Podcast Hosts

Podomatic no longer hosts my music podcast, Ten For Tuesday. You can still go to the Podomatic site, I haven't deleted it, but moving forward I felt I needed something that didn't constantly give me issues and make it hard to publish a new episode.

Case in point, last night I uploaded episode 190 and even embedded a player with it here on this blog. Then I closed my laptop. When I came back and only needed to copy the link of the episode for Twitter and Facebook there was no end of problems. Podomatic now said that there was an issue and the episode couldn't be published. This was AFTER it had already been published.

Then it told me that there was a problem with the audio so I deleted it and uploaded the file again. Now Podomatic showed as if I had uploaded the file twice. Not knowing where to go with this I deleted the episode, signed out again, before signing in and trying to start all over. This time Podomatic showed as if the file was in there three times and took me way over the free hosting limit.

There were only three episodes at this point besides the one I was trying in vain to upload. Frustrated beyond belief I said the hell with it and deleted the episode once more, logged out and shut down my computer. Strangely enough, when I logged on today the episode that couldn't be published was back in draft form. That was the last straw. Once again I deleted it and started looking for another free hosting site.

This led me to Anchor. No longer am I limited by how many episodes I can have at one time. Originally, with Podomatic I was able to keep 6 or 7 episodes on at a time. Whenever I had a new one I would move the oldest to archive.org before uploading. Over time, for whatever reason, the number of episodes that could be hosted dwindled to 4.

Hopefully all of those problems are behind me. All I can say is that uploading episode 190 went smoothly and I had no issues embedding a player here on the blog as well as using the link to the page for social media.

Time will tell if I also move notmovingpictures. I am able to keep more episodes of it since it's a talking podcast and doesn't contain a lot of music. One nice bonus is that Anchor also will contact the major hosting/listening sites so that your podcast can be found more easily. So far so good. At least I'm not frustrated tonight.

Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: