Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Return of Beavis and Butthead?


I found out some of the best news I could get the other day. Beavis and Butthead are returning to MTV and no, I do not mean in reruns. Series creator Mike Judge has agreed to start creating and voicing new episodes of the dynamic duo. They'll still be the same age yet this time around not only will they watch music videos but also Youtube viral videos and other events like the Ultimate Fighting Championship as well as using modern technology. This is a no brainer unless the powers that be want to take the teeth out of them and actually have them liking people like Lady Ga-Ga instead of reviling her. I have so many fond memories of watching this show and honestly I think that most everybody knew somebody like this at some point in their lives. I'll even admit to owning a Burgerworld t-shirt at one point. I'll go even further, my roommates and I would imitate their voices for our answering machine.

This information came to me from a most unlikely source, Rolling Stone magazine. Somehow I have been receiving a subscription even though I never ordered it. This has happened to me several times in the past with different magazines. My wife thinks that I must be receiving it as a gift yet nobody has come forward to tell me that it was from them so I tend to disagree and instead believe that my name must be on some marketing list where they send you a free subscription and hope that you'll enjoy the magazine so much that you will want to renew your subscription when the time comes and that way they'll have you hooked and get your money. At least that's my working theory.

At any rate, I do not like Rolling Stone magazine very much. It just doesn't have the kind of content that I enjoy so when I received the most recent issue I left it untouched for a few days and then decided to throw it away. As I picked it up however three headlines caught my eye on the cover. First was a story about The Clash whose music I still enjoy. Second was Beavis and Butthead and the third was a story about The Cars and their album that will be coming out in May. That was enough for me to be enticed into opening it up and to read the stories and honestly I liked all of them.



However another thing that I hold against Rolling Stone is that publisher Jann Wenner is the bigshot in charge of bands that get inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame or should I say Shame? He has let personal biases interfere with many bands that more than meet the requirements for enshrinement and they end up being left out in the cold. Bands like Rush, Journey, The Cars, Devo, Kiss, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Foreigner, Iron maiden and Judas Priest are so deserving yet still cannot make the cut. It's a sad reflection on Jann Wenner and his ilk who believe that they are smarter and cooler and hipper than anyone else when truthfully, they're just pale wannabes.

Ah, enough of this drudgery. I'm not here to endorse or condemn Rolling Stone (well, maybe condemn a little). Back to what's really important. Reading about The Clash = cool. Reading about The Cars new album coming out = great. Reading about Beavis and Butthead making their valiant return = fantastic. Maybe there's some hope for fun and happiness after all.

No comments: