Saturday, November 16, 2013

Birthday Blues? Not Likely Mate.

So today is my birthday. Forty-nine years ago I was foisted upon the world and it's been a trip. The first year we were married my wife threw me a big party attended by my friends, her friends and lots of people from church. About five minutes after I walked in the door I was safely ensconced in the kitchen with a friend or two where I remained for quite some time. The thing is, I'm not much of a party guy, not much of a celebrator. I'd rather do something low key like go to a movie and or hang out with my loved ones and friends. Parties just aren't my thing. Actually celebrating holidays period aren't my thing. When I was single I never decorated for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween or any other occasion.

I don't know why this is I just know it's what I prefer. Of course now that I'm married and have a kid I don't really have a choice. The house is decorated not matter what my preferences are and I get that. I want my son and wife to enjoy life and if that means I have to make repeated trips to the attic to bring down and put back up boxes then so be it. My wife did learn that it's better to just keep everything low key for my birthday and that since I'm not a party guy if she wants one planned for her birthday then she's better off having someone else plan it. It's just not a skill I've mastered nor do I care to. Just tell me what you want me to do and I'll do my best not to cock it up.

Oh, and by the way, I did make it out of the kitchen during that birthday party and actually talked and was sociable to those attending. I appreciated everything my wife did that night for me. I just don't want to go through it again if I can help it. I'm nobody special so it's just another day to me. Perhaps I should have been a Jehovah's Witness. Then I could have a reason for not celebrating (although it's a rather strange one in my opinion) but that's neither here nor there. Hopefully I'll get some rest, have a little cake and go buy something I don't necessarily need but just want. That's my idea of a good birthday
.
Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: