Friday, March 21, 2014

Late Dinner, Inept Cashiers And A Lot Of Hipsters

This past Monday night I was able to leave work to get some late dinner. Since I wanted something quick I decided to go across the street to Wendys even though their service has left a lot to be desired in the past. I won't be making that mistake again. There was one person in front of me and she quickly moved aside and went to get her condiments. The staff mostly stood there waiting for her order and after a few minutes the cashier told me he would be with me in a few moments. He again moved around and a few more minutes later he again told me he would be with me in a few moments and proceeded to go out the door and into the side area. After a few minutes more without seeing him return I walked out the door muttering to myself about how a good chunk of my dinner break was being wasted.

I walked back over through the parking garage to my truck and decided to make the drive to McDonalds. Once there the cashier couldn't seem to get my order right and had to have assistance with the register. Once it was rung up I could tell by the price that it still wasn't correct. She had charged me for the sandwich and not the meal as I had ordered, like I always order it. This took a little more time for them to void the order and enter it in correctly. Eventually I got my food and after sitting down I started to notice the people that were coming into the store. The place was filling up with hipsters dressed in varying shades of green. There was even a forty-five-ish lady with a lime green wig on.

I had totally forgotten that it was St. Patrick's Day and this McDonalds was in an area with a lot of bars around it. Let me be upfront with this, I don't like for hipsters. I have no time to spend on people who wear something be it clothing or glasses or whatever just to be "in" or cool or for whatever kind of validation they are searching for. I tend to be pragmatic . If it's cold outside I dress for the weather not for how I look. You'll never see me buying expensive jeans or trendy shirts. I'm fairly boring in that aspect. My wife says that I'm difficult to buy for because I want something plain and simple without giving free advertising to the company. No emblems or slogans or what have you. Look, I know what I like and at some point I'll find it. That's why it's best to let me find what I want for my birthday or Christmas.

Anyway, back to my disdain for hipsters. They are vile and evil. No really. To be a hipster be definition means you have to be fake and only care about an image so why would I want to spend my time around a person like that? I'm trying to follow the advice of Joe Rogan who has said many times to surround yourself with cool people and by that he means those that accept you for who you are and that you enjoy being around. No drama queens, no energy vampires and certainly no trendy image conscious hipsters. Life is far too short for that kind of game. Of course right now I can't do that with work but in every other aspect that's what I'm trying to do. It's a goal and something to strive for so at least I've got that going for me. So life can't all be bad.



Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: