Friday, October 31, 2014

Usurpers One, Two, Three

I have this old recliner in my house. I've had it al least since I got out of the Army in 1995 and maybe even longer than that. It's hard to say, I mean it isn't like I made special note of the date I received it because I'm sure I never dreamed that I'd have had it this long. My mother gave it to me so perhaps she could recall. Moms tend to remember details like that in my experience.

For the longest time it was my chair, my place of refuge.Then I got married. At first my wife always left it for me to sit in but gradually she started to sit in it more and more. Then we had a son and as he got older the more he tried to claim it from me.

However recently there has been another who has increasingly tried to make claim on it. The latest usurper to my throne is Alex The Cat. Ever since he adopted us he's become more demanding of what he feels is his by right. My recliner is being taken from me and there's nothing I can do about it. First a wife, then a son and now a cat. Such is life.




Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: