Thursday, June 23, 2016

My New Mini-Zine, Badly Drawn......On Purpose

I've been meaning to do this for a few weeks but sometimes I get in these moods where I don't take care of the things I need to and this happened during one of those moods. A few weeks back I (finally) completed my first ever mini-zine called Badly Drawn.....On Purpose. I dug out some old photos from the Warped Tour that I went to in 1998 in Pittsburgh. I then drew some of those pictures in ink because well, why not? They were never intended to really look all that much like the actual photos. Even if I wanted them to, come on, doing it with an ink pen would require far greater artistic talent than I possess. The idea was just to have fun with it.


At first I thought I'd do it as a one-off project but now I want to continue doing it and next up I'm going to try some drawings from pictures taken at some of the ska shows I went to in the latter part of the 90s. You know, when ska was supposed to be the next big thing the major labels ruined, but it never came to fruition. Instead they signed a bunch of bands that kinda sorta sounded ska-ish and the real ska never quite broke all the way through. What better way to document that period of time than with crappy drawings that virtually nobody will see? Am I right? Stay tuned, there's plenty more great ideas like that one swimming around in the mush that is called my brain.

You can get the results of my wonderful artistic vision locally at Holy Mountain for the extra low price of FREE! I'm sure there are plenty of copies left. If you can't or don't want to go to an actual record store here in Tulsa then you have bigger issues than I can help solve. However just let me know and I will happily mail as many copies to you as your little heart desires. Never let it be said that I didn't do my part to make humanity better. Usually I do that by not involving myself with humanity but sometimes I have to put myself out there on a limb, emotionally naked (not like that sicko, I said emotionally) for all to abuse. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: