Friday, March 22, 2013

I'm Not

Another idea that is very rough, only partially explored but it's all I've got at the moment. Kind of self explanatory. It's about taking a job you never really wanted, making good money and having some good things come of it but being unhappy in how that has affected what you are allowed to do and say as well as the fear of losing what you have, or what you think you have, in order to reclaim something of what you were while retaining all of the good things in your life. Scary idea.

I'm Not

Looking back into the past I see that
I’m not living the life I imagined I would
I’m not the person I thought I’d be
Is that what happens when you don’t have a plan
When you’ve lost the drive you thought you had
In retrospect perhaps it never really was there
I daydreamed of a life of simplicity
Where I didn’t wear the uniform of society
No dress shirt and tie to strangle me
No position of authority to hold me down
No responsibility for the work of others
Now I’m not doing the things I think about
I’ve lost the sense of humor I once held
The wit and the spark of laughter held back
Limited by the rules of engagement
It’s not where I envisioned ending up
Can I ever make it back to that person
Wile retaining something of who I've become

Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: