Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Flashback - Rush

Edit, After I finished this post I went to sleep and when I got up it was all messed up. Red Barchetta was where Tom Sawyer was supposed to be. Then there was no video where Red Barchetta was supposed to be. I know the videos were in the correct places so I have no idea what happened. Perhaps I've been hacked. It was very difficult to fix but as of right now it is fixed. We'll see later. It's a good thing I check on these things.

In honor of the news that Rush will be playing in Tulsa on September 21st AND will be performing their 1981 classic album Moving Pictures in it's entirety I have decided to name them as the artists for my Friday Flashback. Rush has been together since 1968 and are still continuing to find ways to challenge each other musically and put out quality new music. They meet all requirements to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame yet inexplicably are denied entrance year after year. Of course that is a post to be dealt with at another time. Let's start off with their most well known song.....Tom Sawyer.

Just for fun...........



Tom Sawyer



YYZ

YYZ is one of the greatest instrumentals I've ever heard. It has thrilling bass runs as well as intricate drum fills and some impressive guitar work as well. The song rocks out and makes me spasticly switch from air guitar to bass to drums and back again. If I could play an instrument this song would drive me crazy because when I hear it I want to play all of the instruments at the same time. It's that damn good.




The band is:

Geddy Lee – bass, lead vocals, keyboards, mellotron, bass and synthesizer pedals, electric and acoustic rhythm guitar (September 1968 – present)
Alex Lifeson – six and twelve-string acoustic and electric guitars, classical guitar, mandolin, mandola, bouzouki, backing vocals, bass and synthesizer pedals (August 1968 – present)
Neil Peart – drums, electronic and acoustic percussion (July 1974 – present)

Former members:

John Rutsey – drums, percussion, backing vocals (August 1968 – July 1974)
Jeff Jones – bass, lead vocals (August 1968 – September 1968)

Red Barchetta



I'm stoked that Rush will be coming to Tulsa as this is the first place that I ever saw them live in concert. I'll see you at the BOK Center in September.

No comments: