Friday, April 2, 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine

Since today is a national holiday I had a day off but my wife unfortunately had to work. So naturally I did the proper thing and took my son to the babysitter's house so that I could enjoy a little alone time. On these rare occasions where this happens I usually go to see a movie and today was no exception. I've been wanting to see Hot Tub Time Machine ever since I first heard about it many months ago mainly because John Cusack is one of my favorite actors and this is a movie where he goes back in time to the 80s and I love 80s movies. I only expected some seriously stupid fun and I was not let down at all.



The basic premise is that 3 friends from high school (Cusack, Rob Corddry and Craig Robinson) who don't see each other much anymore are all pretty much disapointed in how their lives have ended up. One of them may or may not have had a failed suicide attempt so the other 2 (and Cusack's nephew played by Clark Duke) decide to watch over him by getting back to the ski resort that they used to go to when they were young. Unfortunately the resort, town and ski valley have all fallen on hard times. During a night of heavy drinking they pile into the hot tub, spill some russian energy drink on the controls and somehow end up traveling through time to 1986. They agree to do everything the same so that nothing in the future will change but it doesn't take them long to realize that it isn't such a good idea as they all feel that their lives suck.

I thought that there were a couple of scenes that could have used a little bit of fleshing out, nothing much mind you, just a little bit more of explanation which would have only added an extra minute or two to the film but I'm not complaining at all. The film was very enjoyable and overall I'd give it a B plus bringing it in just under Cop Out which I saw a few weeks back. There was a lot of good memories brought back thanks to the soundtrack and even though I've never been to a ski lodge in my life much less been skiing I did see everal skiing movies in the 80s. I recommend anyone who wants to have some good stupid fun to see Hot Tub Time Machine. You won't be disapointed.

No comments: