Thursday, June 19, 2014

Creative Burst Thursday

So I've had a bit of a creative burst today. I'm not complaining mind you, just stating a fact. Before I wrote this one I wrote another piece but it's very personal and I think it's best to keep it to myself for now. Plus there's something more coming and even another after that if I can get the time to work on it. Going to see Alejandro Escovedo and Betty Soo last week must have triggered something in me. I'm a writing fool so I'll take it while I can.


Reader Mind


I’ve been a reader ever since I can remember

Always walking with a book in my hand

Unless of course it was a magazine

Head down but alert to my surroundings

There’s something about the printed form

That draws me in and seals me off from the world

The smell of a bookstore or a library

When you first go in the door

I can and have spent hours looking through the racks

What can I say my preferred vice has a hold on me

Now of course it’s all available electronically

Access to hundreds of books on a thin little tablet

Ready to use at a moment’s notice

Never a fear about finding something interesting

But also never the thrill of waiting for something to arrive

The truth is that I am a slave to technology

In my family boys do love their toys so

What’s a youngish old guy to do

Move forward with the future or stay in the past

I’ll keep both forms and use them as needed

But if I have to make a choice………..you know where I stand


Written and Published by Don Leach. May not be used without permission from the author.

No comments: