Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Cars Reunion? Maybe....Maybe



The scuttlebutt on the internet is that seminal 80s band The Cars may be reuniting. A picture posted on the bands official Facebook page shows 4 of the band members(singer Ric Ocasek, keyboardist Greg Hawkes, drummer David Robinson and guitarist Elliot Easton) playing in a home studio. The fifth member, bassist Ben Orr passed away in 2000 from pancreatic cancer. There is supposed to be a link to a story about the reunion rumors with a note that says "Anyone in the mood for a reunion by the Cars?" I say supposed to be because I'm one of those rare people who haven't gotten on Facebook yet so I can't verify it. Back in February Ric Ocasek told Rolling Stone that he was working on new material that would be a surprise.



In 2005 Easton and Hawkes formed The New Cars with Todd Rundgren but they only recorded a few new songs and toured off an on before stopping it on 2007. Of interest is that at that time Ocasek was not interested in reforming the group and Robinson was out of music and also had no interest.

What a difference a few years can make. If this is all true then it will make for some really wonderful news. The Cars were one of my favorite bands growing up and I never was able to see them in concert nor was I able to see The New Cars. If they do tour and record and I will be there to remove one of the bands that I thought I would never have a chance to see live from my concert wish list.

No comments: